Monday 30 January 2012

Veggie burgers are go!!

This first month of my avoidance of supermarkets has left me with a store cupboard full of beans and pulses. I have to admit I don't really like whole beans or pulses :( and have mainly used them in soups which I then puree or make into hummus. I then had a brain wave why not make veggie burgers. I have paid good money in the past for dry mix variety and found that they are a bit tasteless and also that you don't really get much for your money. Feeling like I needed to use what I had rather than add to the bulging cupboard I embarked on making my own recipe!!! A scary prospect and not enthusiastically embraced by my meat eating son.
It was however a resounding success!!! So here it is! I did not measure precisely.

Veggie Burger
Equal amounts of (about 200g of each)
Adzuki beans
chick peas
Cannelloni
yellow split peas
Green split peas
Spelt grain
Smoked paprika
2 clovesGarlic
1 Onion
tsp fennel
jerk seasoning (it was there!)
4oz Gram flour (can use plain flour)
Semolina (optional)
bunch Parsley
salt and pepper to season

Method
Soak all the pulses/beans overnight.
Drain and put in a bowl
fry the onion, fennel and garlic
add to the pulses
add the seasoning and parsley and either mash or blend till fairly smooth (I like a bit of texture but no whole beans)
Add flour and mix
Make into patties and roll in the semolina (it just gives a crispy coating)
Fry in a medium pan on both sides for around 6 mins per side (depending on how thick you made the patties)

Enjoy eating with... well anything :)

We made about 13 in total and we are going to freeze the leftovers uncooked to see how they cook from frozen. I will let you know how we got on.

Cat and Mark




2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Will try it myself after soaking some beans tonight. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they froze well and cooked direct from frozen so bargain!!

    ReplyDelete